Search This Blog

Thursday, July 25, 2013

What is the value of time?

I apologize for a last blog this week. It's been a little busy and I was unable to really decide upon and topic and get it researched as much as I like. I've got one on the works about the importance of irrigation and am still working on the evolution of the music industry. Unfortunately neither one of those is ready. I also need to write a book review for my other blog, Grandfather's Wish. I just finished Time of the Twins, the first in the Dragon Lance Legends by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman. (sign) So much I'd like to do and I just need to find the time.

Time is an interesting thing though. There are 168 hours in a week. The average human is said to need 8 hours of sleep a night (even though that's not entirely true), so that's 56 hours for sleep. "The typical" work week is 40 hours a week, but often that's 8 hours of work with an hour lunch  so lets call it 45 hours. That leaves 67 hours for everything else. The average commute in the US is 25.4 minutes, with drastic changes based on region, so subtract 5 more hours (on average). Eating and drinking can be upwards of 67 minutes a day, not including when we are multitasking with food. So there goes another 7+ hours a week But wait, that doesn't take preparing food - which takes another 33 minutes at day on average (p. 27), and don't forget shopping. Take down another 5 hours we'll call it. The average bath/shower time is about 65 hours a year, so call it and hour + a week. And don't forget dressing, and all those other little things that just add up. It's not uncommon for people to get to the end of the day and ask, "Where did time go?" Why, into the past of course!

Time truly is precious. I got this quote from Board of Wisdom.com, but have seen it before elsewhere. I've changed it from the source to how I remember seeing it - cause I like it better.

To realize the value of ONE YEAR, ask a student who failed a grade.
To realize the value of ONE MONTH, ask a mother who has given birth to a premature baby.
To realize the value of ONE WEEK, ask the editor of a weekly newspaper.
To realize the value of  ONE Day, ask a hourly wage worker with a family to feed.
To realize the value of ONE HOUR, ask the lovers who are waiting to meet.
To realize the value of ONE MINUTE, ask a  person who just missed their flight.
To realize the value of ONE SECOND, ask someone who just avoided an accident.
To realize the value of One MILLISECOND, ask the person who won a silver medal at the Olympics.

My mother encouraged me watch a lecture given by Randy Pausch, a professor at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. He gave a lecture on time management and started it by showing a picture of the pancreatic cancer that was killing him as he stood there before the audience. I now encourage others to watch it if they are interested in learning about time management. Obviously I need to work on it myself.


Randy is also known for giving another lecture, titiled "the Last Lecture." I recommend that one as well.

Oh, and case you were wondering: time to turn an intended apology into a decent blog post on time management - 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment