Search This Blog

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Education and careers

I'm currently in a Masters of Science program through Kansas State University and the National Academic Advising Association (NACADA). One of my classes this semester is on career advising. As I read through the material for class I was drawn back to my own undergraduate experience. The item in particular that got me thinking about my experience was the statement, "...students that change majors make up approximately 75% of college students"[1]. (Note - I have to use APA for my work and MS, but I've always preferred footnotes.)

It occurred to me that students that change their major and undecided students (often the same, but not inherently so) are often considered a special population by educators. However, the data is showing that such is not the case. They appear to be the majority but a good percentage. I fell into the minority for my undergrad. I went into college wanting to be a history major and I came out as such. The only time I considered formally branching out from my intended degree was to consider a second minor in management information systems (spreadsheets and databases).

This is not to say that I did not take a variety of classes and tried different topics. When I showed up to meet with my advisor for my 2nd semester freshman courses he looked at my three three history courses and said, "This is a great schedule for an upper classman. You're a freshman. Now is the time to take ballet." I never did, but you are reading the post of the only non-business major in his Microeconomics course. I'm also the guy who got the highest grade in said course. I enjoyed all of my classes, but my degree was always to be in history.

Now, the meat of my musing. If I received any career counselling it was that you could do more than teach with a history major. I was told I could do just about anything I wanted to. While many may see that as bad advice, it is correct. I attended a presentation done by the Career Center at Brigham Young University at a professional Conference and they had broken down the numbers. Without going into the whole of their statistics - there are relatively few professions that require a specific undergraduate degree. It is not the facts that are important in an education, but the skills you learn. This is what I had learned as I matched my interests with the things I could do.

So, the next time somebody says that "such and such" is a useless degree, remember that there are no useless degrees. It is all a matter of matching your skills with the employer's needs. And every degree will teach you skills, you just have to recognize them as such.

Now isn't that interesting?

[1] Hughey K.F. , Hughey J.K. Foundations of Career Advising, The Handbook of Career Advising, NACADA, 2009, Kansas State, p.12

No comments:

Post a Comment