Search This Blog

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Great food, Poor Fortunes

Tonight my family and I ate out at a Chinese buffet. I've always been wary of Chinese buffets I can't remember having any good experiences at them. However, as I've come to like Chinese food I was willing to try this one. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the food. It was all very tasty and I made sure I didn't overeat. I think that has been the biggest problem in the past. Anyway, that is not what interested me.

Take a look at the fortunes we got.


 First, two of them aren't even fortunes (the first and the last). They are simply descriptions of the persons. Second, I don't live in a nest. And thirdly, I've known from the 6th grade that the number 4 is unlucky in China. It is closely related to the word "Death" which is why you will never find a fourth floor in a Chinese hospital. Yet it shows up by itself and as a digit in 54 in the first, once in the third (40), and twice in the fourth (34 and 49 right next to each other no less). What's more, according to this video by Brady Haran (one of my favorite video journalists), the numbers 8 and 6 are lucky for being related to wealth and successful travel respectively. However, the fortune which pronounces travel doesn't have a 6 in it. And 8 only shows up once in the fortune describing a love of the arts and music. While I do indeed love art and music they are not associated with great wealth. And lets not forget that there are two 4 in that fortune either. So all in all, the fortunes were not that fortunate when all was said and done.

With that said, fortune number two - the one without any unlucky numbers (or lucky numbers for that matter) in it? My wife put in for a new job today. The problem - I opened that cookie.

Now isn't that interesting?

It could be worse. My wife once got a fortune that said (and I kid you not), "You need to work on your exercise routine." We got food poising from that place too. Yeah, could be a lot worse

No comments:

Post a Comment