Search This Blog

Thursday, February 14, 2013

No singing at the dinner table

While I was still at my parents (and even now when I visit) we would discuss the family rule: no singing at the dinner table. The discussion inevitably was about why we had that rule. In almost all instances, whenever that discussion was had, that rule would be enforced by the end of the meal. It's not that my family is against music, but rather that we are loud enough already that singing just takes the volume through the roof. While I've never considered music a huge part of my life, I've realized how much of an impact it's had on me.

I was musing on this as I drove home yesterday with my kids. I often sign to them in the car to keep them occupied and yesterday was no exception. However, yesterday was different for two reasons. First, we sang along to the radio (normally I sing a cappella) and second I had a bad cold. I normally don't sing when I have a cold as it throws my voice waaaaaayyyy off. My normal range is a nice comfortable baritone, but when I have a cold all I can do is sing deep bass or falsetto, and my falsetto is bad. So, there I was belting out popular songs to the radio in my falsetto voice and just not caring what I sounded like. As I sorted through the radio stations for songs I wanted to sing it really got me thinking how music effects us.

Just a simple search of the "effect of music" will turn up lots of search results. I took the low hanging fruit and just looked through the first one. I won't get into all of the stuff mentioned there (although it's pretty cool), but will give some of my reflections on music.

One day in elementary school my mother, a fan of classical music, gave me a CD of Handel's Water Music. Having grown up enjoying the NPR program "Shickele's Mix" on Saturday mornings I too enjoy classical music, but I am much more a Beethoven and Saint-Saens kind of person. Why was Mom giving me Handel? It turns out Water Music has been shown to help people spell better. It didn't help me, but I think i was supposed to play it. Like I said, I prefer Beethoven. Moonlight Sonate can relax me every time I hear it. It plays to the deep parts of my being and strums the strings of enchantment. It brings images of warm fires, bright stars, and dark rooms with large windows. The Piano Guys, one of my favorite music groups, did an adaptation called Moonlight, and while their version doesn't give quite the same feelings it still resonates with me. My wife and I are proud to be members of the Founders Club of The Piano Guys. Seriously, check them out.

I could post a lot more on music, but I think that is enough for now. Muse on your music and check back later.

No comments:

Post a Comment